Monday, January 28, 2013

Carnivore with a Side of Vegan

As a professing Texan (as if there was any other kind), I soundly reject all aspects of the plant based approach to survival. In my mind, heaven looks like an amazing cookout. Jesus, Moses, Noah, Paul, John and I are all sitting on a deck somewhere in Texas in mid-April. Perfectly marbled, 2 inch thick rib-eye steaks are sizzling their way to a glorious medium-rare and some of Texas' finest craft beer waits to be poured while we talk theology and Aggie football. Paradise.

Yet the growing number of studies being publishing which detail the tremendous health risk of an animal based protein diet have certainly gotten my attention. I read them all online with a skeptic's eye and then quickly delete my browsing history lest someone should suspect me of considering them as a viable alternative to carnivorism.

Recently, I found myself watching an excerpt from a speech given by Neal Barnard MD. In this excerpt, Dr.Barnard speaks of the huge health risk that a diet high in saturated fat poses. He goes as far as to state that minimizing the levels of saturated and trans fat intake substantially lowers the risk for Alzheimer's Disease and Mild Cognitive Impairment. While I do not personally subscribe to some of the more extreme steps that he and many of his colleagues recommend for reasons previously stated, I do believe that our country consumes far too much meat and far too few vegetables. Watch the video below but tell no one you saw it here.



No comments:

Post a Comment