Tuesday, October 23, 2012

How Does Your Garden Grow?


I find some of my greatest life lessons in my garden. Last year, I built two raised bed gardens in my backyard. I had grand dreams of the food we would grow there. Initially, the garden I made was a thing of beauty. Rich black soil, the smell of fresh mulch, bees buzzing busily as they pollinated my crops. Each morning and evening I would water and preen by hand. In short order, my garden began to blossom. Then life happened. I got busy. I got too busy to continue to spend the amount of time that I had initially spent cultivating my garden. As a result, weeds and bugs began to invade. Before long, the fantastic thing I built was no longer.

So much of in-home care is a garden. Initially, we utilize a ton of resources to ensure that we are recruiting and training the very best caregivers available. The background check we run on all our applicants continues to be the most thorough available, the reference checks and drug screening we insist upon have set the standard for in-home care. But that isn't enough. We must continue to water and preen our garden lest the weeds and bugs should invade. This is the new battlefield for in-home care providers.

One of our two core values at Home Instead Senior Care in Chapel Hill is to exceed the expectations of everyone that we encounter. We call it our 4E's. Sadly, the expectations from seniors and their families are fairly low. They have become accustomed to a certain amount of tardiness, a certain amount of apathy, a certain amount of absenteeism when dealing with in-home care. Their experience with the industry has taught them what they can realistically expect. From day one, we fight against this "assumed reality" with our clients and our caregivers. From birthday and anniversary cards, to our P.E.A.Q. program, to our quality assurance visits, to our on-call policy, to our community involvement-Home Instead Senior Care is working to exceed the expectations of everyone that we encounter. As anyone who is happily married can tell you, relationships do not build themselves. Like gardens, relationships require constant effort if they are to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment