Friday, October 4, 2013

The Heart of Home Instead








Allow me the privilege of bragging on my people for a moment.


From the beginning of my journey with Home Instead, I have been blessed to be surrounded with fantastic people. I have worked to intentionally create a culture in which exceeding the expectations of everyone you encounter is the way we do business. This is much easier to do when the people who comprise your family come already equipped with a heart for service. Despite six years of watching caregivers and office staff go above and beyond for their clients, there are still days like today when I come across someone doing something for a client that takes my breath away.

One of the clients we serve has an immediate family member who has recently been diagnosed with cancer. In this instance, it appears that the cancer was detected early enough to be treated successfully with surgery and chemotherapy. Nevertheless, anyone who's life has been touched by cancer can tell you that just hearing that ugly word is terrifying regardless of the prognosis for recovery. My thought upon hearing the news was that we need to send a nice 'get well soon' card and perhaps some flowers. Lenore, our staffing coordinator, had other ideas. She approached me about the possibility of putting together a chemo bag to be taken into the treatment room. Chemotherapy can be an hours long affair where many have nothing to do aside from reading a magazine and contemplating the ominous nature of their affliction. I told Lenore that a chemo bag sounded like a wonderful idea and that I was excited to see what she came up with.

When the bag was completed, it was a thing of beauty. Full of knick-knacks like crossword books, an aromatherapy shrug, comfy socks, peppermint candies, a throw blanket, etc. There was, however, one thing in the bag which didn't make any sense to me. Included in the collection was a package of plastic forks, spoons, and knives. What? I asked Lenore about this particular item and she was fully prepared to answer. "I did some research on some common side effects from chemotherapy. Many people complain about a metallic taste in their mouth which is only made worse by using regular forks and knives to eat. A lot of people have found that using plastic utensils during chemotherapy helps out tremendously. Is that ok that I put that in?"

Are you kidding me? A member of my office staff took it upon herself to not only put together a chemo bag for the family member of a client but actually did research into common side effects of chemotherapy and solutions. Wow.

That, dear readers, is the heart of Home Instead. That is the company that I always hoped we would be and that it seems we have indeed become. That is the way that we are called to love and care for the people of our community. Selflessly. Thoughtfully. Sincerely. That is Home Instead.

Thank you Lenore. I am proud to call you a member of our Home Instead family.

No comments:

Post a Comment