Monday, February 3, 2014

Hi Tech Doodads And Sharks With Laser Beams


Technology is an amazing thing. Every time I hear about a new gizmo or gadget I can't help but wonder "What's next?"

On some level, I resent technology. There have been unimaginable advancements made but with each new tool or shortcut it seems that we lose something as well. Take Facebook for instance; it is an amazing thing that, within seconds of his birth, I am able to share pictures of my newborn son with  family in Texas. Yet along the superhighway of connectivity there have been some casualties. How long has it been since you have sat down to hand-write a letter? I would guess it's been a while.

GPS Navigational systems in our cars and on our phones always have us a few short clicks away from turn-by-turn directions to anywhere our cars will take us. Unfortunately, that level of techno-dependecy has left many people unable to find their way around their own neighborhoods. My dad seemingly knew every back road and shortcut in the city of San Antonio, Texas. Knowledge he likely acquired through innumerable wrong turns over the years. Nevertheless, the knowledge was his. Few people possess that knowledge now. In truth, I often nod my head in ignorance when someone attempts to tell me where they live or work. "I'll just google it."

In senior care there have similarly been wonderful advancements through the last several years. As the option for a senior to live out their golden years at home has become an increasing reality, so too have the different ways to make that a more feasible choice. XBox 360, the same video game technology which thrills teenagers and perpetual college students, now offers families a way to monitor the movement and relative stability of their parents from a distance. When an aging parent's gait changes or becomes unstable a sensor detects the change and alerts the appropriate family member. Similarly, there are special shoes with which you may now outfit your senior. These "mechatronic" shoes will monitor the gait pattern of a senior and let a family member know when they become less nimble.

But Stephen, these all seem like really good things.

Yes, yes, dear reader. But allow me a moment to paint a slightly fuller picture of the hazardous space into which this new fangled technology will be thrown.

A short time ago, I visited with a client and her daughter who had acquired some of this exciting new monitoring technology. My visit was prompted by concerns that several of the caregivers had voiced about a rickety wheeled chair at the kitchen table which they believe posed a serious safety threat. I discussed the many different ways that a chair of that nature could easily slide out from under a senior who was increasingly unsteady on her feet. I further suggested the removal of the radio which sat atop the kitchen table in front of said chair. I have nothing against radios. However, at issue was the radio's extension cord which needed to be stepped over in order to sit in the rickety wheeled chair. I was assured that the extension cord would not be an issue because it had been neatly tucked under the curled up front corner of the area rug which bordered that section of the kitchen. It was as if I was watching a sadistic game of senior twister. Right hand table. Left foot throw rug. Right foot extension cord. I fear that my face may have betrayed me when I inquired as to whether or not the Koi pond in the backyard had also been stocked full of sharks with laser beams attached to their heads. 

No amount of technology can overcome the presence of household hazards. A poorly lit hallway or stairwell will still be a major safety concern even if fancy monitoring toys are installed. The toys will not keep your parent(s) safe. The toys will only more readily alert you of their faltering.

Our journey with each new client always begins with a home safety inspection. We will take the time to walk through the home with a client and/or family member to point out the things which we have historically seen to be hazards. We look for things like: wheeled chairs, extension cords, throw rugs, and piranha-infested koi ponds. Only after we have worked with a family to remove the hazards can we really even pretend to add things which claim to make a senior more safe at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment