Wednesday, March 5, 2014

A Fresh Perspective From The Lady in Number 6


A few weeks ago, I watched the Academy Awards with my wife. Truth be told, we were both asleep by 9:30 and missed most of the major awards. We were, however, awake to see the award given to this year's Best Documentary Short, The Lady in Number 6.

The film is the inspiring story of the world's oldest living holocaust survivor, Alice Herz-Sommer,  and the optimism with which she lived her life in spite of having endured one of the most horrific ordeals imaginable. Not a traditional holocaust movie, this documentary focuses on Alice's committed belief in the power of music to uplift and transport us to a higher plane.

When asked about her experience during the holocaust, Alice posits a surprising response. "Sometimes it happens that I am thankful to have been there because this gave me..eh...I am richer than other people. My reaction on life is quite another one. All complain 'this is terrible.' It's not so terrible."

She describes meeting German soldiers after the holocaust and their shock at her amiability towards them. "They would ask: 'Don't you hate us?' I would never hate. Hatred only brings hatred."

When asked how she can look at so many horrible things to which she was a victim with such a positive outlook she says: "It depends on me. Everything is good and bad. I look at the good side."

Regarding her status as the world's oldest living holocaust survivor she states: "Only when we are so old, we are aware of the beauty of life."

Sadly, Alice passed away only a few short days before the film documenting her remarkable journey was honored before the world. I think receiving that award would have made her smile.



I would highly recommend spending $5 and taking 30 minutes out of your life to view The Lady in Number 6.  It is available  for both rental and purchase at www.nickreedent.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment